How much does your child play video games? Has their iPad taken over their lives with games? Recently, the Institute for the Future explored the major shifts in the nature of game play that has transpired over those last 15 years. Below is a link to an infographic with some startling facts. Thanks to Jill Milenski for the information.
The following facts are claimed in the infographic:
- Since 2006 children have been spending 20 % time less outdoors.
- Time spent online has more than double since 2006
- The average number of apps on a childrens mobile device is 12.
- Kids prefer to learn through a youtube video rather than reading an article
- 9-month-olds spent an average number of 1 hour each day watching TV and DVD.
- Roughly 1/3 of 3 to 5-year-olds can operate a smartphone or tablet device
- 50% of children over 5 access the internet everyday.
- In 2010, children ages 8 to 18 spent an average of 7 hours 38 minutes on devices every day